Re: [AMBER] About python usage in AmberTools

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:55:28 -0400

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Juan Eiros Zamora <
j.eiros-zamora14.imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Amber users,
>
> I've recently downloaded AmberTools15 and followed all the installation
> steps succesfully on a RHEL6. But when I try to do
>
> make test
>
> I get the following errors http://lpaste.net/42814355720372224 (copied
> in this link)
>
> The python version that I currently use is 3.4.3 installed with Anaconda
> 2.1.0 (64-bit) distribution. Also my PYTHONPATH is set to
>
> /usr/local/amber15/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/usr/local/amber/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> after I source the $AMBERHOME/amber.sh script.
>
> So what's the python that AmberTools is trying to use? And how do I
> manage to add python packages to the AmberTools installation?

Most of Amber's Python tools are written for Python 2. Some of them are
Python-3 compatible (I know ParmEd can be installed with Python 3, and I
*think* MMPBSA.py will work as well), but others are probably not.

So the configure script looks for python2.7, python2.6, python2.5,
python2.4, and falls back to python if none of the previous choices are
available. You can always use conda to set up a new Python 2.7 virtual
environment:

conda create -n py27 python=2.7

And use that environment with Amber.

If you want to force AmberTools to use your anaconda Python 3, you can use
"--with-python `which python`" when you run configure.

> I've previously experienced problems with other AmberTools
> programs, such as xparmed.py, or mdout_analyzer.py, (see errors here
> http://lpaste.net/7336825506265825280 ) in which python modules are
> missing; and I don't know how to add them because if I just do conda
> install package it will install it in my regular python distribution
> (although that the _tkinter that's missing I can't even find it using
> conda).

​conda should come with Tkinter already installed.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher