Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Question about building a branched levan oligosaccharide

From: Lachele Foley <lf.list.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 18:35:11 -0400

Thank you for the question. I have updated the documentation to be clearer.

These are the updates I made:

1. Added a brief definition of formal charge within the context of the
instructions.

2. Clarified the instructions to emphasize their dependence on the
possession of a residue pre-configured for the proper branching. I
also added brief information for handling exceptions (that is,
residues where a hydroxyl H must be removed).

Here are explanations of the updates as applied to your situation:

1. Regarding the term 'formal charge': Here, I am referring to the
number of extra or missing electrons that the derivative will bring to
the final molecule. For example, a sulfate group (SO3-) brings a
charge of -1 and an NH3+ group brings +1. Since you are adding
neutral sugar residues, the formal charge is zero.

2. Your branching pattern does not already exist in the prep database
(this is why you needed to remove the hydrogen). You first need to
adjust the charge at the oxygen to maintain the modularity described
at the top of the page. Since each branch point must carry -0.194 of
the charge across a linkage, the oxygen must absorb the difference
between that and the charge left over when the hydrogen leaves. Since
the H has a partial charge of 0.4010, it will leave a partial charge
of -0.4010 on the residue, which is too large. To reduce that to
-0.194, you then add 0.207 to the charge on that oxygen.

:-) Lachele
Lachele Foley
CCRC/UGA
Athens, GA USA