Re: [AMBER] ERROR WHILE RUNNING ANTECHAMBER

From: Aleksandra Skoric <skoricaleksandra.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 12:47:14 +0200

Dear Roopali,

I just wanted to warn you that you might have missed to include the Mg ions
in your initial protein complex. Mg2+ ions really matter when it comes to
ATP/ADP, which is your case. It could happen that you have simulated your
enzyme + ADP (without Mg ions) and ended up with the strange behavior that
you can not validate through available experimental data. To have a sense
of what I mean please read this year article in Nature structural &
molecular biology: The energy landscape of ​adenylate kinase during
catalysis doi:10.1038/nsmb.2941 and then following News & Views: An enzyme
cofactor with a split personality doi:10.1038/nsmb.2968. Authors have used
combination of NMR measurements during catalysis, pre-steady-state
kinetics, molecular dynamics simulations and x-ray crystallography to
describe adenylate kinase during catalysis. Also, you’ll find
results/behavior of the enzyme with and without Mg2+ ions present.

Thus, first thing to do is to prepare coordinates of complex. That means
that you have to figure out the optimal number of Mg2+ ions in the active
site and their positions (coordinates). I suppose that x-ray structure that
you took from the PBD database doesn’t contain Mg2+ ions, but that doesn’t
mean that Mg ions are not there in reality. It is unfortunately a common
problem because it is difficult to distinguish Mg2+ from structural water
by electron density alone, and therefore the position of the Mg2+ in the
presence of natural substrates is ambiguous and that is why x-ray protein
structures often miss coordinates for Mg ion(s).

So, I suggest you talk to your supervisor or to experimentalists and search
the literature or write to the authors of the paper you refer to in order
to find out optimal number of Mg ions. Check all the structures of your
enzyme or homologues of your enzyme deposited in PDB – maybe in one of them
you’ll find coordinates of Mg ion(s).

Finally, when you carefully prepare your initial complex.pdb, there are
more options for divalent metal ions like Mg. Search amber mailing list
archive http://archive.ambermd.or to see what people ask and do when they
deal with Mg ions. Also as Marc already have pointed out you’ll find
parameters for ADP and ions here
http://www.pharmacy.manchester.ac.uk/bryce/amber/

Sandra

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Marc van der Kamp <marcvanderkamp.gmail.com