Re: [AMBER] amber tools 15 upgrade problem

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:57:30 -0400

On Mon, May 04, 2015, David A Case wrote:

> It is best to untar the AmberTools15 distribution into a clean
> (newly-created) directory. I also recommend following common-sense
> precautions: don't delete your current installation of AmberTools14
> until you are satsified that AmberTools15 is working.

Just to expand on seemingly conflicting advice about this subject: if you have
a good disk backup scheme in place (and I hope you do...) you can do things
like untarring the new distribution "on top of" the older one. This saves
some steps if you also have Amber14 installed, and is essentially what the
--upgrade option is doing.

But using a fresh directory will be of particular interest to those of you
who have made revisions to the code, and to anyone with a healthy respect
for Murphy's law. Just take care to not get confused about which version
you are running (e.g. which version is first in your PATH.)

....dac