Re: [AMBER] Does atomicflut byres report the fluctuations of the residue CM?

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:49:11 -0600

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Jose Borreguero <borreguero.gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it the fluctuations of the center of mass of the first residue, or the
> average of the atomic fluctuations for the atoms in the first residue? I
> could not get a clear cut answer from the manual.

Sadly this is sometimes the case, although I promise you we are
constantly working to make the manual better!

Here your second guess is correct; when 'byres' is specified the
mass-weighted atomic fluctuations of each atom in the residue are
averaged like so:

ResidueFluct = SUM[ AtomFluctX * massX ] / TotalMass

'bymask' is similar except the averaging occurs over the entire atom mask.

Hope this helps, and thanks for pointing out the omission in the manual.

-Dan

--
Daniel R. Roe, PhD