Re: [AMBER] Parallel GPU calculation

From: Novosielski, Ryan <novosirj.ca.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:59:00 -0500

The log file for the job should tell you whether it was running peer-to-peer or not.

____ *Note: UMDNJ is now Rutgers-Biomedical and Health Sciences*
|| \\UTGERS |---------------------*O*---------------------
||_// Biomedical | Ryan Novosielski - Senior Technologist
|| \\ and Health | novosirj.rutgers.edu<mailto:novosirj.rutgers.edu>- 973/972.0922 (2x0922)
|| \\ Sciences | OIRT/High Perf & Res Comp - MSB C630, Newark
    `'

On Feb 27, 2015, at 09:15, Stefano Motta <s.motta17.campus.unimib.it<mailto:s.motta17.campus.unimib.it>> wrote:

Why are you using 'nohup'? I would definitely recommend *against* doing
that in a PBS script. The only time that's really useful is if you want
to run a job interactively and don't want it to die if either your
terminal closes or your ssh session dies.

you are right, I copied the command from a previous calculation I've done
on a remote machine.

Do you know if the two GPUs are connected via Peer-to-Peer? Check the
"Multi GPU" section of http://ambermd.org/gpus/ for more information.

I have not found information about the connection between 2 GPUs of the
same node, the only information I've found is that: *"All the nodes are
interconnected through a custom Infiniband network, allowing for a low
latency/high bandwidth interconnection." *This is the machine I'm using:

http://www.hpc.cineca.it/content/eurora-user-guide#systemarchitecture

It may be that there is nothing you can do to improve scaling, and that
you're better off just running 2 separate jobs (or using replica
exchange, for instance).

I'm already using advanced molecular dynamics such as aMD, so I preferred
not to use replica exchange with that, but it is a possibility. It's a
shame to have access to a machine with such a great number of GPUs, and can
use only one GPU at a time.

Thanks anyway for your support,
Sincerely

Stefano Motta