Re: [AMBER] memory issue in mmpbsa_py_nabnmode

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 03:18:22 +0100

OK,

so first of all I already did the change in "mmpbsa_entropy.nab" which you
suggested
me and did some calculations with my small testing system to compare with
older
Python and Perl results and here they are:

nmode_igb=1, nmode_istrng=0.0 ("IGB 1", "SALTCON 0.0" in Perl version)

  drms PYTHON_dsyevd | PYTHON_dsyev | PERL_dsyev
         ( ORIG diagon ) (perl diagon) (ORIG diagon)

  0.04 --- -33.3570 -22.70
  0.03 -33.8740 -27.9280 -27.03
  0.02 -41.7830 -34.1221 -24.25
  0.01 -42.0022 -41.7371 -21.02
  0.005 -44.0156 -44.0597 -21.79

"PYTHON_dsyev" column corresponds to the results with edited
"mmpbsa_entropy.nab"
function. I was assuming that the results after the changing
diagonalization
routine ( dsyevd -> dsyev ) will not change (just the memory and time
requirements).
Fortunately this is true at least for the small drms values :))

It's a pity that "dsyevd" method is not able from some reason work with
higher
amounts of memory because along with higher speed we can see that this
method is
also a bit less sensitive to "drms" values than "dsyev".

Anyway we have here still a little "mystery" I mean the clear difference
between the PYTHON and PERL results. BTW just for the curiosity, would be
possible to do the similar experiment which we did with PYTHON version
(dsyevd -> dsyev) also with PERL version (here naturally in oposite manner
  dsyev -> dsyevd ) ? I am really very curious if it might have some
influence
on results (especially for small rmsds).

Regarding DIELC value and IGB value in PERL implementation.

I verified that DIELC value does not influence the results if the IGB is
set to 1.
Which is something I assumed. So in GB calculations is scaling DIELC
parameter
or ignored (but for this case should be in the code IF statement also with
target elstat. formula without this scaling param) or simply automatically
set to 1 (if I understood well in case of PYTHON version one has to be
careful because setting gb=1 will not ensure automatic resetting of dielc
to 1 if dielc!=1 is set in some input file in the given moment).

> 1. You want to model aqueous solute entropies with gb=1, dielc=1
> 2. You want to model gas phase entropies with gb=0, dielc=1
>
> Neither of those use-cases use anything except dielc=1. And gb=1 is
> better than dielc=4 (or any other constant dielectric or distance-based
> dielectric) for aqueous solute entropies IMO.

You are right !

Here was perhaps some misunderstanding because if I spoke about the
default value
for dielc constant I was thinking about the default value just in the
framework of the
distance-based dielectric calculations where perhaps value 4 is the most
appropriate
(that's why was and still is as the default for DIELC in mm_pbsa.pl). I had
no reason to think about some "global" dielc default value, the properly
chosen default
with respect to combinations with gb values, as I simply assumed that for
gb=1 is
dielc ignored or automatically set to 1 which is true in PERL version as I
already mentioned above.
Thats all :))

  Anyway thanks for your comments !

       Best wishes,