[AMBER] POPC membrane separation.

From: William Hester <william_hester.me.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:13:10 +0000

Hi,

I have built a large system using the charmm membrane builder which consists of a large ion channel protein embedded in a POPC lipid bilayer. With the ions and water molecules the system is about 150 000 atoms in total. I am running the simulations on NAMD using AMBER forcefield. The membrane was successfully converted into AMBER format. However, when running the minisation of the system, the membrane separates and the two layers move away from each other leaving a gap in the middle of the system. During the heating and equilibration, this problem also persists. However, I ran 1ns of molecular dynamics to see how the membrane behaves and it actually readjusts itself back to the correct configuration.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before? I’ve doubled checked the configuration files and boundary conditions and that is not the problem. I ran three minimisations, the first with fixed membrane and protein, the second with fixed protein, and the third with nothing fixed. I also tried to run the heating without minimising the membrane as the charmm GUI is supposed to produce an equilibrated structure. However, the membrane layer separation still persisted in this case.

Regards

Will