Re: [AMBER] max GPU cards per run

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:38:00 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015, Harmeet Kaur wrote:

> Can anyone suggest what is the maximum no. of GPUs on which a simulation
> can be run without compromsing the efficiency? Our institute has 6 cores
> cluster with 2GPU cards each amounting to a total of 12 cards. Can I run a
> job using all 12 GPUs? I have heard that when one exceeds usage to more
> than 2 GPUs, the efficiency of the run is decreased. Kindly suggest. Thanks
> in advance

You heard correctly. You can check peformance at the benchmark page:

  http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm#Benchmarks

Full details of how to use multiple GPUs is given here:

  http://ambermd.org/gpus/

Scroll down to "Considerations for Maximizing GPU Performance". Short answer
is that using 1 or 2 GPUs per run is probably the most you should be using
with the hardware you describe. (But go ahead and experiment!)

...dac