Re: [AMBER] Intel Compilers, SSE_TYPES, and auto CPU dispatch

From: Jason Swails <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:18:57 -0500

On Tue, 2015-01-13 at 12:46 -0500, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:

> I was pretty suspicious of -xHost. I'm not a developer, and my
> experience is limited with the Intel compiler as I've just started
> using it this year, but I know -xSSE3 is what I've seen recommended.
> So I figured there might be some connection here.
> The recommendations I've seen from others talking about the Intel
> compiler auto CPU dispatching is to start with that as a baseline, and
> then -ax to add specific processor sets that you'd like to include.
> Thank you for your response. I had a vague hunch that this was
> something that maybe just never got finished properly. Does anyone
> happen to know if SSE_TYPES is just something used by Amber, or if
> it's something that the Intel compiler respects?

I had thought it was an Amber configure thing. In particular,
configure2 processes this variable into "-ax$SSE_TYPES" in the COPT and
FOPT flags.

I don't know for sure that Intel makes no use of this variable, but I
suspect it is just Amber's configure. If I'm wrong here, hopefully
someone will correct me.

Jason M. Swails
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher