Re: [AMBER] CHAMBER: problem with water and swissparam generated ligand

From: Eric Lang <eric.lang.pg.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:52:40 +0000

Hi Sarah,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and for having tried ParmEd with my files. I have been able to generate the Amber files for the ligand+water with ParmEd

Actually the atom reference number wasn't the problem: I had a look and basically I have different numbers because I use a slightly older version of the CHARMM22 toppology file (which includes TIP3P) and the atoms composing the TIP3P are defined at a different position than in your topology file and thus have a different reference number:
In my case:
MASS 4 HT 1.00800 H ! TIPS3P WATER HYDROGEN
MASS 75 OT 15.99940 O ! TIPS3P WATER OXYGEN

While in your case you probably used toppar_water_ions.str, in which:
MASS 1 HT 1.00800 H ! TIPS3P WATER HYDROGEN
MASS 3 OT 15.99940 O ! TIPS3P WATER OXYGEN

But since you managed to generate the Amber files with ParmEd I tried this approach and I found my mistake: I specified PEP2.rtf with the flag -str instead of -top. By modifying this, I have been able to generate the prmtop and inpcrd files for the ligand and the water molecules, which is a very encouraging first step.

However, even when using the same atom reference numbers as you have, I cannot generate the files directly in CHAMBER:
Running:

chamber -top top_all22_prot.rtf -param par_all22_prot.prm -str PEP2.par PEP2.rtf toppar_water_ions.str -xpsf test.psf -crd test.pdb -p test.prmtop -inpcrd test.inpcrd -verbose -cmap

give me:
<read_bond_angle_dihe> impropers
<read_bond_angle_dihe> donors
<read_bond_angle_dihe> acceptors
<read_bond_angle_dihe> nonbond
<read_bond_angle_dihe> group
<read_bond_angle_dihe> Done
Checking for flag: CHEQ
Examining potential match: PSF
At line 2774 of file psfprm.F90 (unit = 20, file = 'test.psf')
Fortran runtime error: End of file

Moreover, using Parmed, I cannot generate the AMBER files for the protein itself.
For example running:
chamber -top top_all22_prot.rtf -param par_all22_prot.prm -str toppar_water_ions.str -psf test.psf -crd test.pdb
where test.pdb and test.psf correspond to my protein alone, I have the following error:
    Action chamber failed
        ChamberError: Problem assigning parameters to PSF

So to summarize, I can generate the AMBER files for the ligand and water with Parmed, generate those for the protein alone in Chamber, but it doesn't work for my full system.

Any idea of what the problem could be?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Eric