Re: [AMBER] positive free energy

From: Ray Luo, Ph.D. <ray.luo.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:21:13 -0700

I think one reason is that the original inp=2 method was calibrated in
reproducing relative affinities due to small changes, i.e. side chain
mutations and/or different ligands.

If you use it to model absolute binding affinities between proteins
and nucleic acids, it breaks down. So neither inp=1 nor inp=2 gives
"correct" absolute binding affinities when the "ligands" are also
macromolecules. Nevertheless, I still think the relative affinities
are better than inp=1 if the relative changes are small. So far, I
haven't seen any data on this mailing list that show that the relative
affinities by inp=2 are worse than those by inp=1.

To address those large ligands, a different calibration has to be
developed, i.e. solute scaling now matters and should be taken into
account in the model. We are looking into improving the model for the
next release.

All the best,
Ray
--