Re: [AMBER] Visualyze avg structure in VMD

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 06:33:58 -0600

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Valentina Romano
<valentina.romano.unibas.ch> wrote:
> I would like visualize in VMD the average structure.
> If I load it as PDB it looks really strange and I choose as format 'Amber coordinates" the molecule is not loaded.

Remember that an average structure does not necessarily reflect
reality; for example, if you have a methyl group rotating, the average
position of the hydrogens will be somewhere near their collective
center. If you have large internal motions, the average structure will
be correspondingly distorted. Also, if you don't RMS fit each
structure to some reference prior to calculating the average structure
you may get contributions from rotational/translational motion in the
average.

Because average structures may be distorted, this can mess with the
simple bond searching algorithms in programs like VMD, leading to even
stranger-looking structures. So when loading average PDBs it's often
better to first load your topology, or better yet save average
structures in a format that contains bond info like mol2 (only
possible with cpptraj).

Hope this helps,

-Dan

> Any suggestion?
>
> Best,
> Valentina
> Valentina Romano | PhD Student | Biozentrum, University of Basel & SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
> Klingelbergstrasse 61 | CH-4056 Basel |

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry
University of Utah