Re: [AMBER] gpu and cpu runs

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:03:59 -0700

Hi Mary,

To offer a little extra info here. There is no 'problem' with the random
number stream being different, it just means that the random friction
forces applied by the Langevin thermostat will be slightly different, this
leads to a divergence in the trajectories - it will not however affect any
statistical results. If you want to observe the effect that differences in
the random number stream have on a trajectory then you can just run two
CPU simulations (with ig=-1) and compare those. You will see the magnitude
of the differences should be equivalent to what you see for the GPU run
compared with the CPU run.

The take home message is that no single trajectory in its own right should
be considered to be definitive.

All the best
Ross