Re: [AMBER] different number of waters

From: newamber list <newamberlist.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:18:48 +0100

Hi Murat and Jason

Thanks for your replies

That was nice suggestion Murat and I should try that as I am also not able
to find the reason for this great number of difference in water molecules.

and Also ...

>> However, you can always experiment with Amber and keep making the buffer
size a little larger until you get _almost_ the number of water molecules
you want, plus a small number more.

But the problem now is which one to believe Gromacs' or Amber's number of
water :( I ran initial job with AMBER and want to compare with Gromacs and
now found such a great difference with Gromacs. Changing the buffer size to
get same water molecules would be a problem in reporting in future. Say
with AMBER I used 12 Angs buffer and with Gromacs I used 8 Angs buffer to
keep waters same. That does not sound correct to report in publications :(

>> Since I don't know any specifics about gromacs, I don't know how to specifically
help

I had put same query in Gromacs archive and they also dont know what AMBER
does but I am posting here what Tsjerk Wassenaar from Gromacs replied.
Hope it helps to find the reason.

Gromacs query title:"" truncated octahedron box vector angles and number of
waters""

""
.... As for the difference
in water molecules, I don't know what AMBER does, but I can tell what
Gromacs does. You have the diameter of the system, 15.385 nm, to which <<<#
diameter is basically the longest length #>>>
twice the 1.2 nm is added, giving the vector length 17.785 nm. A cube of
that length would have a volume of 5625 nm^3, and a truncated octahedron is
about 78% the volume of a cube, so it gives 0.78*(17.785**3) = 4388 nm^3.
Well, there's some rounding..., the 4330.63 will be correct. Solvating that
with genbox should give a pretty much correct amount of water. If AMBER
gives you so much less, I'd guess there's something odd there.""

Thanks