Re: [AMBER] Scaling of atomic mass of water molecules

From: Sergio R Aragon <aragons.sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:35:18 +0000

Hello Mani,

I'll add my two cents worth to this discussion. Diffusion coefficients, when you are in the hydrodynamic regime are mass independent. For simulations of molecules larger than water to the microsecond time scale, you are in the hydrodynamic regime. Thus changing the masses will not gain you anything at all. Most dynamics, even that of smallish molecules translate in the hydrodynamic mode (and to calculate it you must use slip boundary conditions in classical hydrodynamics), whenever the solute is simply larger than any void volumes in the solvent. This certainly covers your molecules of interest in water (because you are in water, you would need the hydrodynamic stick boundary conditions to calculate transport in classical hydrodynamics). The underlying reason for this is that the motion is overdamped, so the accelerations average to zero and thus mass disappears from the picture.

When you use a water model such as TIP3P, the viscosity is already about a factor of two too small and dynamics is already accelerated. This is a defect of the water model, but it comes in handy in improving the speed of simulations when global solute dynamics is not intended to be extracted from the trajectory; only local, nonhydrodynamic dynamics is correct in that water model.

One possible way to reach very long simulation times is to try Brownian dynamics simulations. Another is to generate a coarse grained model of your system so that you have fewer effective atoms to move. To preserve chemical accuracy, you would need to train your models on shorter atomistic simulations.

A third method is the brute force method. We published the first long scale simulation (.32 microseconds) of an antibody (Trastuzumab) using ff99SB in TIP3P in 2010. The work took two years of computation because we didn't have GPUs at that time. It was still worth it. People are doing microsecond long simulations on GPUs now, so you may resign yourself to spending the time doing it right.

Cheers,

Sergio Aragon
Professor of Chemistry
San Francisco State University