Re: [AMBER] Simulations using pmemd.cuda

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 08:44:36 -0700

Hi James,

Jason's info is good - I personally work off the memory usage rather than
messing with a hacked nvidia-smi. I would suggest though taking a read of
the following pages:

http://ambermd.org/gpus/ - this is for AMBER 14 although I have not
completely finished updating it yet.

http://ambermd.org/gpus12/ - This contains an archive of the AMBER 12 info.

Take a read of them - I think they will help you understand things better.

Note, if you running just single GPU jobs you can set the following as
root:

nvidia-smi -c 3
nvidia-smi -pm 1

And then pmemd.cuda will automatically pick an unused GPU each time you
run it and will quit with an error if they are all in use - it prevents
AMBER 14 from running in parallel though (for that you need to set
nvidia-smi -c 0 to allow peer to peer communication - for AMBER 12 it
makes no difference).

All the best
Ross