Re: [AMBER] MM-PBSA for two drug molecules

From: Fabian Glaser <fglaser.technion.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:34:24 +0300

Dear David,

Thanks a lot, no they are not known to form dimers, they form crystals of course but I thought I could learn something about their different interactions or similar using amber. And you are right about they getting apart during the simulation.

They form crystals of course, but I wanted to be able to say something about their "differences" or similarities in forming the crystals or at least about their interactions in solution, as a way to propose experiments or improve the way they are given to the patients (currently two different crystals).

One of their main problems of course is solubility, so I am really firing in the dark for the moment.....

Any suggestion would be great.

Thasnks a lot,

Fabian

On Apr 24, 2014, at 3:07 PM, David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014, Fabian Glaser wrote:
>>
>> I am interested to calculate the free energy of interaction on many
>> frames of MD for two drug like molecules, I plan the following:
>>
>> 1) Prepare the molecules with antechamber
>> 2) Run MD in vacuum or water
>> 3) Calculate MM-PBSA as you did for a protein-ligand on
>> http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial3/
>

>> Is that a good idea for two copies of drug molecules (e.g. RITONAVIR)?
>
> In principle, it doesn't matter what the "ligand" and "receptor" are: they
> could both be drug molecules. But is seems likely that the two drug molecules
> may move apart from each other during the MD simulation, which will lead
> to a very small free energy of interaction. But perhaps the molecule is
> known to dimerize(?)
>
> ....dac

_______________________________
Fabian Glaser, PhD

Head of the Structural Bioinformatics section
Bioinformatics Knowledge Unit - BKU

The Lorry I. Lokey Interdisciplinary
Center for Life Sciences and Engineering
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Haifa 32000, ISRAEL

fglaser.technion.ac.il
Tel: +972 4 8293701
Fax: +972 4 8225153