Re: [AMBER] comparing RDF plots

From: newamber list <newamberlist.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 18:15:07 +0100

Hi Daniel

(I have changed email id as my mails were going to spam folder I think!)

Here is further disucssion and I have summarized things at bottom of mail.

>> The first is calculating the RDF from every water atom to all chloride
ions >>within 50 Ang. << of residues 484 and 441.

You mean how many waters are there in a shell of thickness dR around Cl-.
(a little correction actually am considering Cl ions which are greater than
50 Ang). which would represent a ion in bulk.

Actually my concern was that Avg. density increases when we use different
masks but actually the number of waters also increases as summed for all
shells (so numerator also increases! just not the denominator) as shown
below. Please correct me if wrong.

Lets take one bin only (say first shell of thickness dR) and just for a
single frame. So in a mask like this :WAT (:484,441>.50&:Cl-) I will have
such single bins around each Cl- (which are >50 Angs. far from COM of
484,441).

So RDF (for first shells) = sum of waters in all first shells around each
ion */* (#mask1*#mask 2 * Volume of shell)

which is rather equilvalent to average for all the ions if considered
individually= 1/M * (N1/#mask1* 1 * V + N2/#mask1* 1 * V .... Nn/#mask1* 1
* V) = (N1+N2.....Nn)/#mask1* #mask2* V

N1, N2.... Nn are number of waters in first shell of ions Cl1, Cl2... Cln
respectively
M = Total number of Cl ions (Cl1 to Cln) = #mask2

>> The second is calculating the RDF from every water to a single chloride
ion.

Again I think waters are there in a shell of thickness dR around Cl-.

>>They may be qualitatively similar, but you'll have better statistics with
the first one (and probably even better if you just make the second mask
':Cl-').

In second case it was just one ion actually I have many such single ions in
some region so will average for all ions and over all trajectory.

well. Just considering the heights of peaks should tell me whether ions in
region of interest are more/less hydrated (second case) compared to ions in
bulk (first case). Please suggest if it does not make sense?

best regards
Jiomm