Re: [AMBER] aligning

From: Jio M <jiomm.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 05:14:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi Daniel

This is indeed a nice suggestion and thanks for support. But I think theoreticaly also its not possible to achieve both at the same time (or its just me who can not think of this being possible theoreticaly!)
In your suggestion, which is a good one, but in the last step the rms fit structures will not be best aligned to Z axis. Its only the reference structure which is best aligned to Z. In summary what I want to say: is it really possible to achieve both things together? I think Not possible, one has to sacrifice one thing!

**********
Just as a note for future searches in archive: I had to split cpptraj commands as it was not outputing trajout:

step1.in
trajin test.inpcrd
principal :1-280 dorotation
trajout test.aligned.rst7

step2.in

reference test.aligned.rst7
trajin test.trj
rms reference mass :1-280
trajout temp.nc

******

On Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:24 AM, Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Jio M <jiomm.yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for consideration. I have one confusion. I want to do some analysis
> on this Z axis aligned structures in a trajectory but the same time these
> structures should have best overlap. I am confused what I should do first?

Essentially you want to optimize Z-axis alignment along with best-fit
overlap - currently there is nothing in cpptraj that will allow you do do
both simultaneously; as you've seen you can get either one or the other.
Probably the best (only?) way to do this with the code now is to align your
reference structure (test.inpcrd) along the z-axis with principal, then use
the aligned reference as your reference for RMSD, e.g.

trajin test.inpcrd
principal dorotation
trajout test.aligned.rst7
run