Re: [AMBER] Including amino acid backbone into QM part during QM/MM

From: Andreas Goetz <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:44:16 -0800

Dear Dmitry,

In QM/MM simulations it is in not a good idea to cut an amide bond. With link atom methods the best choice for the QM/MM boundary is to be at C-C single bonds. Highly polar bonds or bonds with (partial) double bond character are not good choices. The QM/MM partitioning in the paper you are referring was used to test energy conservation of the implementation, that is, to test whether the implementation is correct - nothing more. Thus, your variants 1) to 3) are not good choices. Try to cut C-C bonds.

All the best,
Andy

--
Dr. Andreas W. Goetz