Re: [AMBER] Compiling amber12 with openmp

From: Eugene Yedvabny <eyedvabny.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:12:04 -0800

Hi Quentin,

OpenMP and OpenMPI are different technologies: OpenMP is a shared-memory
(threads) approach that is used only for some components of AmberTools,
while OpenMPI is an implementation of a distributed-memory approach that is
used in Sander and PMEMD.

If you want to actually use openmp (which only speeds up some parts of
cpptraj and NAB), you need to run ./configure with -openmp flag, make
clean, and then *make openmp *(see page 15 of AmberTools13 manual). The
make file in $AMBERHOME/src doesn't understand 'openmp' because there is
nothing in Amber that uses OpenMP and your error is innocuous (the build
should have finished with no other errors).

If you, on the other hand, wanted to build with OpenMPI support to use in
PMEMD, then you need to run ./configure with -mpi flag, make clean, and
then *make install*. This should build the parallel version of Amber. If
you have a built-in version of OpenMPI or MPICH then make sure that
mpicc/mpif77 are in your $PATH. If you want to use the Amber-provided
versions, they should already be installed by you running "./configure_openmpi
gnu".

The Amber installation steps are outlined in much greater detail in pages
12-15 of the AmberTools13 manual
<http://ambermd.org/doc12/AmberTools13.pdf> and
on Jason's wiki<http://jswails.wikidot.com/installing-amber12-and-ambertools-13>
.