[AMBER] MMGBSA/BSA electrostatic energy values very high

From: Rajesh Kumar <rajesh444.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:01:35 +0300

Hi,

I am working on DNA duplex models with subsitutued benzene rings. When I
calculated the binding free energies for the duplex formations (say strand
A and complimetary strand B), I got comparable values for MMGBA and MMPBSa
outputs. But the E(El) and E(GBor PB) values are very high but with
opposite signs and are of very closer in magnitude.

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):

Energy Component Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean

VDWAALS -52.6968 4.8595
0.0486

EEL 1453.4885 43.6661
0.4367

EGB -1445.0181 41.7015
0.4170

ESURF -5.3338 0.1814
0.0018

DELTA G gas 1400.7917 43.6956
0.4370

DELTA G solv -1450.3519 41.6927
0.4169

 DELTA G binding = -49.5602 +/- 4.9116
0.0491

Differences (Complex - Receptor - Ligand):

Energy Component Average Std. Dev. Std. Err. of
Mean

VDWAALS -52.6968 4.8595
0.0486

EEL 1453.4885 43.6661
0.4367

EPB -1444.5930 41.6394
0.4164

ECAVITY -4.3753 0.2063
0.0021

DELTA G gas 1400.7917 43.6956
0.4370

DELTA G solv -1448.9683 41.6264
0.4163

 DELTA G binding = -48.1765 +/- 5.4109
0.0541

My questions:

[1] How do we interpret these values EEL of 1453.4885 and EGB of
-1445.0181 (or EPB of 1444.5930).

As negative sign indicates repulsive interactions, EEL of 1453.4885 shows a
repulsive binding energy for the formation of DNA duplex from its strands.
So it means solvation stabilzes the DNA duplex. Am I right?

Also wen I replaced with more number of benzene rings with A-T pairs in the
duplex, I expected there will be loss of electrostatic interactions as the
subsituted benzene rings cannot form a strong hydrogen bonds. Again EEl and
EGB are similar magniude with opposite sign.

What I should give an explanation for these observation.

  Energy

Component

A-T

Bz1