Re: [AMBER] Tesla K40

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:52:10 -0800

Performance wise, yes the GeForce gaming cards somewhat perversely tend to
be faster than their 'professional' Tesla cousins.

Essentially they are the same underlying chip as the Tesla series GPUs but
are not as extensively tested and 'sometimes' have less memory. The clock
speeds and memory bandwidth tend to be higher though (as well as the power
usage sometimes) since there is more pressure to sit on the bleeding edge
in the consumer gaming arena.

There are claims the GeForce cards are not as reliable as Tesla and don't
have ECC but ECC makes no measurable difference and some vendors will
offer full warranties on GeForce HPC systems. The following page shows
recommended hardware through Exxact
http://ambermd.org/gpus/recommended_hardware.htm#hardware who can offer
AMBER certified systems with either Tesla or GeForce and they will
warranty both the same.

In terms of latest hardware your best options are:

GTX-Titan Black - (This will be announced by NVIDIA in a few days so stay
tuned - it will kick butt performance wise!!! - This replaces the
GTX-Titan which is end of line.)

GTX-780 - This is the low cost version of the GTX-Titan

K20 / K20X / K40 - these are the profession Tesla variants - they tend to
cost about 4 to 8 times more than the GeForce cards.

Here's some numbers for AMBER JAC NVE on the three different cards listed
in increasing cost:

1 x GTX780: | ns/day = 98.96 ns/day

1 x GTX-Titan: 107.95 ns/day

1 x K20: 80.81 ns/day

1 x K20X: 89.13 ns/day
1 x K40: 102.00 ns/day

Note the cool thing about AMBER on GPUs is that it does not use the CPU -
so you can put 4 of these GPUs in a single box and run 4 calculations at
once and they will all run at the speeds shown above giving you aggregate
performance of 4 times that for a single GPU. You can also buy dirt cheap
low bin CPUs and save lots of money.

As I say if you aren't comfortable with speccing hardware / building your
own etc I encourage you to contact Exxact. I have worked very closely with
them to put together machine specs and designs that maximize the AMBER
performance for a given budget. So if you contact them with your budget
they can spec up a machine that gives you optimum performance for AMBER
within that budget.

All the best
Ross