Re: [AMBER] Tesla K40

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:39:35 -0800

Hi Chinthaka,

Yes it is a little confusing I agree. The way to think about it is to
start with the 'class' of GPU which are:

Tesla - Professional HPC series
Quadro - Professional Graphics Series
GeForce - Gaming Series.

Now within these there are various generations based on the same
underlying hardware chip generation.

Tesla here (double use of the Tesla name unfortunately) refers to what was
C1060 and GTX280 etc.

Next came what was termed Fermi which included the following under

Tesla series: C2050, C2070, M2090...

and in GeForce: GTX480, 580...

Then came kepler which is split into two types based on the GK104 (Single
precision optimized) and GK110 (Double precision optimized) versions:

Tesla GK104 series: K10
Tesla GK110 series: K20, K40...

GeForce GK104: GTX680
GeForce GK110: GTX780, GTX-Titan...

I hope that helps a little bit. AMBER 14 will support anything from Fermi
onwards (we are abandoning support for the original Tesla architecture).
However it will of course support the Tesla Class of GPUs as well as
Quadro and GeForce classes.

All the best
Ross