Re: [AMBER] RE : RE : Protein insertion into a membrane

From: Benjamin Madej <bdmadej.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:41:50 -0800

Hi Stephane,

I think I understand what's going on here. Indeed, when you use the
solvateBox command, it must be inserting only partial phospholipids around
your protein structure. It must be inserting lipids without taking into
account the Lipid11 connectivity.

Lipid11 is structured such that the phospholipids are divided into three
"residues" with connect0 and connect1 atoms that join the molecule.

The solvateBox command did not anticipate this case and I don't know of an
easy solution within LEaP. LEaP would have to recognize the connectivity
before the solvateBox command is used.

You'll need to remove the extra lipid residues somehow. It's possible to
search for these unconnected residues by looking at the connectivity, but
that would not be easy. It'd probably faster to manually remove them.

VMD could be an option here. I have not tried to solvate a protein with a
lipid bilayer with VMD, but I imagine it could be done. Then the
charmmlipid2amber.x script can convert your system to a PDB to be read by
LEaP.

The alternatives are to use a web based option. I've used CHARMM-GUI and
our charmmlipid2amber.x script works with that. I have not tested
membuilder.

All the best,
Ben Madej
Walker Molecular Dynamics Lab