Re: [AMBER] enquiry regarding latest Amber

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 07:43:19 -0500

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 17:06 +0530, Ved Prakash wrote:
> Dear Divi,
>
> Thanks for your previous email. I looked through various web resources and
> finally came up with the following configuration for the computing system
> (please see the attachment for further details). Please let me know if
> everything is OK. The overall price for the system is somewhere around
> $3300, which is perfectly fine with us. :)
>
> Part
>
> Specification
>
> Processor
>
> AMD Opteron 6320 2.8GHz, 8-Core (two)
>
> RAM
>
> 32GB (4 x 8GB)
>
> Hard drive
>
> Seagate 2TB (two) (RAID 1)
>
> Graphics card
>
> ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5

Are you going to be running a desktop on this machine? That is, will
you hook it up to a monitor and use the machine or will you always be
logging in remotely?

If you plan on using this machine as a desktop with a monitor, then I
highly suggest you get a cheap video card to hook the display onto so
that the TITAN can be used entirely for calculations. Alternatively, if
your budget includes room for another TITAN (or multiple), I would
suggest cramming as many video cards into the machine as possible,
provided you have sufficient cooling and power. ;) (It's a lot cheaper
to get 2 TITANs in the same machine than to build 2 machines each with
their own TITAN).

Just my 2c,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University