Re: [AMBER] AMBER GPU performance issue

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:42:53 -0500

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Neha Gandhi <n.gandhiau.gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am using AMBER 12.3.1 and most of my simulations scale upto 40
> ns/day using 2 GPUs (1 GPU per node). However, whenever I try to use a
> jobscript with more than four nodes, my job crashes without any error
> message. My jobscript is below. When I use 2 nodes, prod1.mdcrd would
> be the first file and after completion of prod1.mdrcrd (upto 10 ns) it
> will start writing prod2.mdcrd. However, when I try to use 4 nodes all
> the runs prod1.out prod2.out start simultaneously and the job would
> crash.

> Has anybody experienced this? Any feedback is appreciated. How do I
> manage to submit job across multiple GPU node. The supercomputing
> cluster has 1 GPU and 12 CPU per node.

Amber runs entirely on the GPU. If you try to run on 12 processors using
'mpirun', then pmemd.cuda will try to run on 12 GPUs, which will fail.

I do not think you will get much improvement using more than 2 GPUs, so I
would suggest using extra GPUs to do other simulations.

> Regards,
> Neha

> #PBS -l walltime=24:00:00
> #PBS -l select=4:ncpus=12:mpiprocs=1:ngpus=1:mem=64GB
> #PBS -W group_list=partner420
> #PBS -q workq
>

> module load openmpi
> module load cuda
> module load amber-dev
> cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
>

> mpirun $AMBERHOME/bin/pmemd.cuda_SPFP.MPI -O -i sander.in4 -o
> prod1.out2 -r prod1.rst -p solvated.prmtop -c anneal.rst -x
> prod1.mdcrd

I'm not familiar with the resource management on your cluster, but it
appears as though this command may launch 48 threads on 4 nodes (12 on each
node), and will therefore require 48 GPUs to run, although I could be wrong
if mpiprocs does what it claims to do---check the output file for the
number of nodes that were used.

If using only 2 nodes works, I would suggest sticking to 2 nodes. Using
4 will probably not run any faster (and could run slower).

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher