Re: [AMBER] netcdf compilation error in Amber12 serial installation: Couldn't compile conftest.c

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:18:42 -0700

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Sajeewa Pemasinghe <sajeewasp.gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I just now downloaded the AmberTools13 and extracted. I don't see a
> conftest.c file in the netcdf/src directory or anywhere in the AmberTools13
> directory. Does it get created while configuration happens?

Yes, conftest files are used during configure to determine various things
about the system and compilers. An error with a conftest file may or may
not be fatal depending on what it is; sometimes the inability to compile
conftest just means something is missing or some setting needs a different
value.

-Dan

> Best regards
>
> Sajeewa
>

> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > > On Dec 9, 2013, at 7:25 PM, Sajeewa Pemasinghe <sajeewasp.gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have already compiled amber12 in parallel using gnu. I tried
> compiling
> > > with pgi suite.
> > >
> > > After ./configure pgi
> > >
> > > It gives me the error
> > >
> > > Error: NetCDF configure returned 1
> > > NetCDF configure failed! Check the netcdf_config.log file
> > >
> > > In the netcdf_config.log file the error is given as
> > >
> > > checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... configure: error: Could not
> > > compile conftest.c
> >
> > It seems that the pgi compilers you are trying to use do not work.
> >

> > > I searched the amber12 folder but couldn't find a conftest.c file.
> >
> > It is in the NetCDF source directory.
> >
> > > Could
> > > you please give me some suggestions to overcome this error?
> >
> > Use the gnu compilers or try googling how to fix your pgi compilers?
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Jason
> >
> > --
> > Jason M. Swails