Re: [AMBER] Doubt regarding the metadynamics simulation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:21:20 -0400

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Ravi Tripathi <abhi.rt8687.gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Mr. Adrian,
> Yes, I posted my question to amber list only. Thanks alot for your kind
> reply.
> But the doubt still remains the same : If the Gaussian are added to the
> PES then how we have the measures of FES from the metadynamics simulation.
> The reconstructed surface should be the PES not FES.

Statistical mechanics provides the machinery to translate potential
energies into free energies given an ensemble of states. I believe there
are papers on metadynamics that show how free energies are computed from
metadynamics simulations. A good introduction (and source of references)
is http://people.sissa.it/~laio/Research/Res_metadynamics.php. (This was
linked to on the Wikipedia page for Metadynamics)

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher