Re: [AMBER] Scaling of multi GPU runs

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 11:13:14 -0700

intra-node runs where GPUs have full PCIE Gen 3 interconnect will benefit
the most. Right now that means 2 GPUs hitting 50-70% scaling efficiency
for PME and close to 100% efficiency with GB.

Your best best is to find motherboard that have PEX 8747 PCIE switches that
allow pairs of GPUs to hit 12-13 GB/s bisection bandwidth. Without the
PCIE switch, that reduces to 10-11 GB/s.

Also, PLX Technologies makes a 4 GPU switch, the PLX 8976. Unfortunately
no motherboards have been announced that include them. This switch would
allow efficient scaling of 4 GPUs intra-node.

Inter-node runs depend entirely on how well the MVAPICH guys, Mellanox and
NVIDIA collaborate to achieve maximum bisection bandwidth. If they can hit
112 Gb/s, equivalent to dual-line FDR, PME can be refactored to scale out
to 16+ GPUs at the expense of exploiting some of the same tricks being
exploited by GROMACS (without any loss in stability).

Finally, a little known fact: GB simulations scale out to 20+ nodes even on
AWS's 10 Gb/s EC2 nodes.