Re: [AMBER] Scaling of multi GPU runs

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:02:45 -0700

Dear Peter,

This optimization will be for INTRAnode improvements - using peer to peer
- essentially the code will test if the two GPUs can communicate via peer
to peer and if it can it will use that otherwise it will full back on
generic MPI. We are really doing much work for infiniband since it
massively increases the cost of machines for marginal gain. Right now you
need GPUs to be on the same IOH channel in order to communicate. For most
motherboards this means if you put 4 GPUs in them you can run them in two
specific pairs of two. We are waiting on motherboards (and or multi-GPU
systems) that have PIIX switches that allow all 4 GPUs to communicate via
RDMA. As far as I know none of these systems 'publicly' exist yet. If you
are considering a very large purchase you might want to arrange an NDA
with one or two major vendors and motherboard manufactures to see if you
can get timeframes out of them.

For now the 4 GPU systems, such as those being sold by exxact can run 2 x
2 GPU runs using peer to peer, where the 2 gpus used for each job are
connected to the same CPU socket.

All the best
Ross