Re: [AMBER] Replica exchange umbrella sampling

From: Fabrício Bracht <fabracht1.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 04:29:29 -0300

Hi Jason. I see what you mean about replica umbrella. I think there is no
way around then. Since you mentioned the adaptively biased md options, let
me point a few problems I had with that in my past attempts to use it. The
whole ncsu module in amber is very interesting to read and it would seem
that it works fine. I probably does, for some cases, but when dealing with
chemical reactions, I was not able to set any simulation that actually gave
me anything useful. The umbrella.nc file, for example, is a black box. The
ncsu-umbrella-slice utility is long gone by now and that means that both
umbrella and flooding simulations are quite difficult (if not impossible)
to perform correctly. I also found that the flooding mode does not prevent
solvent or reactants to simply flow away from the reaction center. The
restraints you impose with the "i" and "r" variables do not seem to do what
they are intended to. They did not work in any of my tests, at least. This
could also mean that I am a "very limited user" and I am doing things
completely the wrong way. But, since the nmr restraints mode of amber work
fine and I was able to get nicely shaped free energy graphics from that, my
guess is that I am not so limited after all. Judging from the amount of
comments on ncsu I see popping on the discussion list, I would assume that
the code for ncsu is not really a viable option for anyone using amber
these days.
Thanks
Fabrício