Re: [AMBER] A problem with a specific input in pmemd.cuda.MPI. 4 GPU fails, 2 GPU works fine.

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:41:17 -0700

Hi Jeremy,

A couple of requests. First can you check that the very latest version of
the code is being used. In the mdout file it should say:

|--------------------- INFORMATION ----------------------
| GPU (CUDA) Version of PMEMD in use: NVIDIA GPU IN USE.
| Version 12.3.1
|
| 08/07/2013
|
| Implementation by:
| Ross C. Walker (SDSC)
| Scott Le Grand (nVIDIA)
| Duncan Poole (nVIDIA)

If the version is not 12.3.1 then please run the configure script to
update AMBER to the latest version and recompile and then try again.

Next check to be sure it isn't a flakey GPU. Try running this on a
different node and see if you see the same failure. Alternatively try
running the 2 GPU job on the 'other' two GPUs in the node and see if that
fails.

If that is all good then please send me the inputs etc so we can try to
replicate the failure.

Note, though that currently multi-GPU runs do not scale very well (this
will be improved significantly in the next version of AMBER) - so for now
unless there is a really compelling reason to get as much speed as
possible on a single simulation a better approach is to run 4 simulations
at once, one on each GPU with different random seeds, starting structures
or even completely different simulations. AMBER is designed in such a way
(different from the other MD codes out there) that each GPU run will not
interfere with other GPU runs so your aggregate performance with 4 jobs on
4 GPUs will be 4 x the performance on 1 GPU.

That said the parallel code should not crash.

All the best
Ross