Re: [AMBER] output nuclear force and hessian

From: John Travers <jtravers70.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I tried to output the gradient and hessian from nmode.c. Again, for an isolated molecule the gradients from sander and NAB agree well very (diff < 0.1% or less ). Howvever, for the molecule in solvent, the force from NAB is order of magnitude larger than those from sander (microcanonical MD with PBC, ntb=1). My input for NAB and sander are listed below (I set dgrad to a large number to avoid minimization). I also tried to add option bcopt=10 (to use PBC) but the computed force from NAB showed no changes. Did I make some stupid mistakes here? Thanks!

Best,

JT

------------- Input for NAB ---------------------

// Try some molecular mechanics.

molecule m;
int ier;
float m_xyz[dynamic], f_xyz[dynamic];
float dgrad, fret;

m = getpdb("Solvated.pdb");
allocate m_xyz[3*m.natoms];
allocate f_xyz[3*m.natoms];

readparm(m, "Solvated.prmtop");

mm_options("cut=10.0, diel=C");
mme_init(m, NULL, "::ZZZZ", m_xyz, NULL);

// Do some conjugate gradients.
dgrad = 50000000000.055;
setxyz_from_mol( m, NULL, m_xyz );
ier = conjgrad(m_xyz, 3*m.natoms, fret, mme, dgrad, 1.0, 1);

// Do some Newton-Raphson.
mm_options("ntpr=1,cut=10.0, diel=C");
dgrad = 1.e+16;
ier = newton(m_xyz, 3*m.natoms, fret, mme,mme2, dgrad, 0.0, 1);

// get the normal modes:
ier = nmode( m_xyz, 3*m.natoms,mme2, 0,1,0.0,0.0,0);
if(mytaskid==0)
  printf("nmode returns %d\n", ier );

------- Input for sander -----------
 &cntrl
  imin     = 0,      !  Run molecular dynamics without any minimization
  irest    = 0,      !
  ntx      = 1,      !  read coordinate, but no velocities
  ntf      = 1,      !  complete interacion evaluation
  ntb      = 1,      !  constant volume
  dielc    = 1.0,    !  Dielectric multiplicative constant for the electrostatic interactions
  cut      = 10.0,   !  the nonbonded cutoff, in Angstroms
  ntc      = 1,      !  No SHAKE
  ntt      = 0,      !  Constant total energy classical dynamics
  nstlim   = 1,      !  number of MD step
  dt       = 0.0001,
  ntpr     = 1,
  ntwx     = 1,