Re: [AMBER] output nuclear force and hessian

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 09:30:54 -0400

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013, John Travers wrote:

> I had another strange observation for the forces computed by nmode
> and sander. For a molecule in solvent, I performed a microcanonical
> dynamics. I found the the forces on the solute molecule obtained from
> these two code agree reasonably well, the difference < 10%. However,
> the forces on solvent molecules show large disparity, often > 50%. Are
> these difference still resulted from the different implementation and
> different algorithms? Thanks!

You don't give many details about what you did, but here is a guess: If the
"molecule in a solvent" calculation used periodic boundary conditions, then
what you see is to be expected: nmode has no capability to handle periodicity,
and will give incorrect results if the simulation was run with PBC turned on.

...dac