Re: [AMBER] Chi torsions

From: Petr Jurecka <jureckap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:20:25 +0200

Dear Steven,

it appears that the V1 term of chi in ff99 is not physically motivated. In
Cornell et al., JACS 1995 on page 5187 I found the following explanation
for V1 (and V2, which has been removed in ff98):

"We thus constructed a simple test case where adenine is attached to
CH-(OH)-CH3, with the dihedrals constrained to mimic the C2’ endo
conformation of a sugar ring (Figure 1) and carried out MP2/6-31G*//HF/6-3
lG* ab initio calculations as a function of x with this model. As one can
see from Table 10, with no additional dihedral parameters, the energy
difference between the syn and anti minima is significantly overestimated
with our initial model. We thus chose to add explicit dihedrals (V1 and V2)
(see Table 14) around the glycosidic bond to bring the two minima into
qualitative agreement."

It seems that V1 was added empirically to match the relative syn/anti
energies calculated by MP2/6-31G*//HF/6-3 lG*

Best regards

Petr