Re: [AMBER] Creating a new Solvatebox

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:36:29 -0500

On Jul 23, 2013, at 5:44 PM, Chinthaka Ratnaweera wrote:

> I mean 0.78 g/ml

OK, I assume you have got an adequate starting box structure to begin. I would
find a machine where you can run sander in serial mode overnight, set up a NPT
run and let it go. The system may take several hours to approach the
experimental density, but while the density is equilibrating the system is also
relaxing to the force field. I, personally, would let the computer do the work
instead of spending more effort trying to make the initial stages more efficient.
Unless of course, the objective of your study is finding a better method to
generate solvent boxes. :-)

It is true that the box might work OK if it is not completely equilibrated, but
my feeling is that the sharper the tools, the better job they do (and I treat
the box as a tool.) I remember attending a seminar in the late 80s where the
methodology of the study was MD. The speaker said that all their spare computer
cycles (this was, of course, before the PC era) were spent running Monte Carlo
classical force field simulations of their water boxes. They thought it was
that important. (They were also probably validating their force fields at the
same time, of course.)

Good luck, sounds like you are well on your way.
Bud Dodson