Re: [AMBER] problem on heating with restraints on the solute

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:57:23 -0600

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM, John Travers <jtravers70.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, I am talking about tutorial B1, step 5.1.5 but with the molecule of
> mine.

The tutorials are meant as guidelines only, not as templates for how
to do minimization, equilibration, etc. The fact that your kinetic
energy goes all NaN within a few steps indicates that your previous
minimization/equilibration was inadequate. Without knowing more
details of your system I can only make general recommendations, but
for an explicitly solvated system I usually follow a 9 step initial
minimization/equilibration scheme:

1) 1K step Steepest Descent Minimization with strong (5
kcal/mol*Ang^2) restraints on heavy atoms, no shake.
2) NTV MD with strong restraints on heavy atoms and shake, dt=.001, 15 ps.
3) 1K step Steepest Descent Minimization with relaxed (2
kcal/mol*Ang^2) restraints on heavy atoms, no shake.
4) 1K step Steepest Descent Minimization with minimal (0.1
kcal/mol*Ang^2) restraints on heavy atoms, no shake
5) 1K step Steepest Descent Minimization with no restraints, no shake.
6) NTP MD with shake and low (1.0 kcal/mol*Ang^2) restraints on heavy
atoms, 5 ps dt=.001.
7) NTP MD with shake and minimal (0.5 kcal/mol*Ang^2) restraints on
heavy atoms, 5 ps dt=.001.
8) NTP MD with shake and minimal restraints on backbone atoms, dt=0.001, 10 ps
9) NTP MD with shake and no restraints, dt=0.002, 10 ps.

For every MD step temp0 is always set to the temperature of choice,
and I use a Berendsen thermostat/barostat. Of course, all restraints
are applied to the solute molecule only. This procedure is usually
good enough to get you on your way - I generally run out step 9 until
the density (among other things) seems well-behaved before even
considering a production run. For steps 1-4 I use as reference
structure the initial coordinates for that step, and for steps 6-8 I
use the final structure from step 5. Others probably have their own
minimization schemes but this is one that works for me on most
systems.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

--