Re: [AMBER] NVE Energy/Temperature Drift Issue

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 21:58:50 -0700

Hi Jim,

The default for nscm is 1000 which removes center of mass rotation and
translation every 1000 steps. In principal it should be fine to leave it
in since if your system starts with zero angular momentum it should keep
zero angular momentum in an NVE simulation. However, you can get small
rounding differences that lead to small amounts of translation or rotation
and with nscm on these get removed - thus removing energy from the system.
In perfect NVE it shouldn't matter since these degrees of freedom are
uncoupled from the rest of the system and with an infinite cut off in gas
phase it probably won't make any major difference to the calculation.
Setting it to zero just removes one extra step in the calculation where
rounding issues can occur.

A key with NVE simulations is to make sure your system has zero
translational motion at the beginning of a run though so make sure you at
least equilibrated with nscm set > 0.

All the best
Ross

On 7/1/13 9:51 PM, "James W. Snyder, Jr." <jsnyder3.stanford.edu> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>In retrospect, that makes a lot of sense, and I feel a little stupid for
>missing that. Out of curiosity though, why is nscm=0 necessary?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim

>>> ntwx = 1000, !write coordinates to mdcrd every step