Re: [AMBER] GAFF atom type for CO

From: Krisztina Feher <feher_krisztina.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:22:50 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks a lot for your comments, David, they are very usefull. I will build next with ChemDraw12 and convert 2D to 3D, see if that is giving better geometries. What do you use for building unusual pieces?
Krisztina

 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013, Krisztina Feher
 wrote:

> Sorry, that was my first failed attempt. I attached a
 correct pdb
> file. The CO carbon is assiged as "c2" by divcon and as
 "c1" by sqm in
> the output .mol2 file.

 This is still a very odd structure.  The NZ nitrogen in
 one residue
 (DAP) is charged (NH3), but the equivalent position on the
 neighboring
 residue (IGC) is not (NH2).  The "alanine" is
 terminated as an aldehyde
 residue.  It would be better to use ACE and NME capping
 groups, as
 Francois suggested.

 The IGC residue is badly formed: there are two atoms named
 HT1, and then
 the "HT2" proton listed in the pdb file as part of the
 Alanine residue is
 actually part of IGC.  If I remove the duplicate atom
 names and put the
 dangling HT2 proton in the proper residue, antechamber
 assigns "correct"
 atom types, with all the carbonyl carbons as "c:.

 Notes:

 1. As noted before, divcon vs sqm is irrelevant.  You
 can save a lot of time
 by leaving off the "-c bcc" flag, while experimenting to get
 your molecule
 put together correctly.  Getting "bad" atom types
 sometimes reflects a bug
 in antechamber, but more often (as here) reflects errors in
 the input
 structure.

 2. Accerlrys Discovery Studio really seems to be putting out
 bad structures.
 [I can't tell if this is the fault of the program, or of the
 way you used the
 program....] You'll have to spend time examining things very
 carefully by
 hand.  In particular, your structure for IGC is
 unlikely to be the one you
 really want.  For charge and parameter development, I'd
 suggest tackling IGC
 and DAP in separate steps, and not try to combine two
 non-standard residues
 into a single structure.

 3.  It is also true that antechamber doesn't give
 especially good informative
 messages when it gets into trouble.  (Requiring "good"
 input is a common
 feature of much academic software).  In Junmei's
 defense, it would take a lot
 of chemical intuition (encoded as artificial intelligence, I
 guess) to figure
 out what was wrong with the structure you provided.
 Just continue to be
 careful, and look closely at all your outputs.

 ...dac