Re: [AMBER] experiences with EVGA GTX TITAN Superclocked - memtestG80 - UNDERclocking in Linux ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:29:50 -0700

The problem isn't AMBER-specific at all. I've already demonstrated it
affects cuFFT. It probably affects *everything else* but if a codecbase is
either nondeterministic or solely uses floating-point math, it's hard to
detect. And this means such a GPU is fine for rendering the graphics
within games because who's going to notice a pixel color that's off by 1
part in a million?

So I fully expect the usual suspects to dismiss this as irrelevant...

But I disagree, the IPS repro I found last week shows ~1 in 1000 divergence
when it hits and that's more than enough to blow up a simulation. And my
point is that if we hadn't first seen the 1 in 1 million issues, I wouldn't
have gone looking for stuff like this. So take that, nondeterministic
single-precision peeps!

Scott