Re: [AMBER] experiences with EVGA GTX TITAN Superclocked - memtestG80 - UNDERclocking in Linux ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 09:07:14 -0700

Observations:
1. The degree to which the reproducibility is broken *does* appear to vary
between individual Titan GPUs. One of my Titans breaks within 10K steps on
cellulose, the other one made it to 100K steps twice without doing so
leading me to believe it could be trusted (until yesterday where I now see
it dies between 50K and 100K steps most of the time).

2. GB hasn't broken (yet). So could you run myoglobin for 500K and TRPcage
for 1,000,000 steps and let's see if that's universal.

3. Turning on double-precision mode makes my Titan crash rather than run
irreproducibly, sigh...

So whatever is going on is triggered by something in PME but not GB. So
that's either the radix sort, the FFT, the Ewald grid interpolation, or the
neighbor list code. Fixing this involves isolating this and figuring out
what exactly goes haywire. It could *still* be software at some very small
probability but the combination of both 680 and K20c with ECC off running
reliably is really pointing towards the Titans just being clocked too
fast.

So how long with this take? Asking people how long it takes to fix a bug
never really works out well. That said, I found the 480 bug within a week
and my usual turnaround for a bug with a solid repro is <24 hours.

Scott