Re: [AMBER] rmsd vs rmsf

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 07:36:55 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 5:36 AM, <nguyentb.bii.a-star.edu.sg> wrote:

> Dear Amber user,
> After finishing the MD simulation, first I reimaged all the snapshot
> in the trajectory:
> trajin md1.mdcrd.gz
> trajin md2.mdcrd.gz
> trajout reimagined.mdcrd.gz
> center :1-393
> image familiar
> go
> Then, I calculated the rmsf of the whole protein with the following
> ptraj file:
> trajin reimagined.mdcrd.gz 1 2000 1
> reference initial_solvated.inpcrd
> rms reference :1-393
> atomicfluct out RMSF_sidechain.dat
> :1-393.CB
> ,CG,CG1,CG2,CD1,CD2,CD,CE1,CE2,CE3,CE,CZ,CZ2,CZ3,OD1,OD2,OE1,OE2,OG,OG1,SG,SD,ND1,ND2,NE1,NE2,NE,NZ

An orthogonal comment to Carlos's (which is the appropriate explanation for
why you're seeing what you're seeing):

I'm guessing that the goal is to select all heavy atoms in residues 1-393.
 May I suggest the following alternative:

:1-393&!.H=,h=

This will select all atoms that satisfy the condition [atoms in residues 1
to 393 and not any atom whose name starts with H or h]. It seems a bit
more succinct (and generalizable) than the one you've chosen. You can
use "ambmask" to check that the two masks pick identical atoms.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate