Re: [AMBER] Optimal APBS parameters - Amber OR APBS defaults ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 05:20:00 +0200

Hi Ray,

first of all thank you for your prompt answer !

Please see my comments:

Dne Tue, 07 May 2013 23:52:26 +0200 Ray Luo, Ph.D. <ray.luo.uci.edu>
napsal/-a:

> Marek,
>
> Amber PBSA and APBS should give you the same energies, within
> numerical accuracy, if you use the same parameters, such as dielectric
> constants, radius definition, surface definition and tension etc. This
> has nothing to do with which package you use. If you see different
> energies, you are most likely using different parameters, i.e.
> different default values.

I am not sure if providing to APBS exactly the same values of corresponding
parameters as used with Amber PBSA will 100% guarantee the same results.

For example the apolar contribution to the solvation energy is calculated
in both cases (Amber APBS, APBS) using different approaches.
( see here
http://www.poissonboltzmann.org/apbs/examples/solvation-energies#TOC-Apolar-solvation
)

so I can imagine that for example the identical values of "Surface tension
for apolar energies"
i.e. using "cavity_surften" = "gamma" might not in general ensure the same
results in both
softwares even if all the rest of parameters is identical and all the rest
of calculations are
done using exactly the same theories/approaches.

For me would be interesting your opinion especially here in case of
setting cavity_surften
parameter in situation when APBS is used ( sander_apbs ).

There are 3 possible candidates:

0.00542 kcal/mol/A^2 (Amber PBSA default for "inp=1 radiopt=0")
0.0378 kcal/mol/A^2 (Amber PBSA default for "inp=2 radiopt=1")
0.0251 kcal/mol/A^2 (APBS default)

even if it seems from my experience that "sander_apbs=1" setting
is possible to use now just with "inp=1 radiopt=0" setting I
would not consider value 0.00542, simply because the general schema
of calculating whole apolar contribution in APBS seem to me to be closer
to that Amber PBSA with inp=2 setting.

So I would decide between 0.0378 and 0.0251 having tendency to use rather
the APBS default 0.0251 simply beacuse it might be a more suitable to
the theoretic approach used in APBS for which was this parameter optimized.

The confirmation test here might be e.g. comparison of apolar parts of
solvation energies calculated with Amber PBSA and sander.APBS
on some non-problematic systems like peptides.

The more proper value for APBS calculation (from those 0.0378 and 0.0251 )
will be
perhaps that which provides smaller difference in apolar energies between
Amber PBSA and sander.APBS.

What do you think about this idea ?

> Developers often set different default parameters for different
> intended usages. In Amber/PBSA, we set these values for MMPBSA
> applications. In APBS, these values are set for some other
> applications. I believe you can find these in their user manual.

It seems that the main APBS applications are the same as applications of
Amber PBSA
see here:
http://www.poissonboltzmann.org/apbs
http://www.poissonboltzmann.org/apbs/examples/binding-energies