Re: [AMBER] QM/MM restart problem

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:49:54 -0500

On Mar 14, 2013, at 2:23 PM, R. Xiong wrote:

> You are right. My QM region does have multiple unbonded molecules. I
> thought there is some trick in Amber that can avoid the problem. Ok, thanks
> for your suggestion.

If your problem is something like water diffusing away, you can set up
a one-sided flat well potential with a mild force constant to keep things
in a sphere centered on some atom or point like the center of mass of
the QM region.

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM, Matthew Zwier <mczwier.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does your QM region span multiple (unbonded) molecules? If so, iwrap=1 can
>> cause one molecule to wrap around the box while leaving the other in place,
>> which can lead to a QM crash. (The MM routines consider nearest neighbors,
>> but I've seen the QM routines not do so, or at least terminate a simulation
>> before it even tries). We tend to recenter our restart files around one of
>> the QM molecules to avoid this problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matt Zwier
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM, R. Xiong <rchxiong.gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, that was the message. So I just got lucky by using iwrap=0? No way
>>> solve this problem? Thanks.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Gustavo Seabra <
>> gustavo.seabra.gmail.com

>> independent

>> guessing

>> running
>>> because
>> iwrap
>>> that

M. L. Dodson
Business email: activesitedynamics-at-gmail-dot-com
Personal email: mldodson-at-comcast-dot-net
Gmail: mlesterdodson-at-gmail-dot-com
Phone: eight_three_two-five_63-386_one