Re: [AMBER] aMD

From: Moth, Chris <chris.moth.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:16:39 +0000

I had just hit a vlimit (velocity limit) issue with a non-AMD simulation I was working on.

For my work, an otherwise ligand held in place via an NMR restraint to molecule 1 was imaged to an adjoing cell, so on restart, there was 70,000 kCal of energy where there had only been 10 kCal in the closing restart file of the prior run.

This resulted in tremendous velocity being transferred to the restrained ligand - and the vlimit was absolutely exceeded.

I have not had this problem with an AMD run (yet). Mathematically, amd adds to the force calculations in a quite simple way, so I would be surprised to find AMD specifically to be at the root of the problem. Review the energetics of the coordinates under simulation first. Are there any high energy terms?

If I were debugging this from computer-scientist perspective, I would dial down the boosting potentials so that there is in essence "no boost" - and review my settings of those parameters extra-carefully. Are temperature controls being performed in a manner consistent with the recommendations of the AMD community?