Re: [AMBER] possibility to increase max . num. of bonded atoms ?

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:18:19 -0800

"Marek Maly" <marek.maly.ujep.cz> wrote:

> Dear Jason and Bill,
>
> first of all thanks a lot for your
> useful comments !
>
> I have just the last two questions regarding your comments:
>
> A) IMPROPER RECORD
>
> YOUR COMMENTS
> JASON
> This information should not need to be present --- tleap should
> automatically apply known improper torsions that it recognizes.
>
> BILL
> If it is added to a prep.in file (instead of a mol2) the list will
> be checked against the impropers the FF assigns. This can be useful
> for developing improper torsions. But for practical purposes the
> list-improper-per-residue is superseded by the current FF.
>
> So if I understood well the IMPROPER record has rather informative
> character
> in case that one is using just Amber-known atom types, these information
> are rather ignored and leap will "decide" automatically where to add
> impropers
> am I right ?

Leap matches impropers by atom types and topology, not by the
old IMPROPER section.

> So if one would like to add some improper torsion to group of 4 atoms
> with known Amber atom types, the IMPROPER record in prepin file is
> definitely not the right place. Am I right ? So how can one solve
> this eventual problem i.e. where one can define these impropers in way
> that they are not ignored by leap ?

Add to the improper section of frcmod. Note the improper will match
all instances of atom types + topology.

> But there might be also the possibility that in the given group of atoms
> where I would like to maintain e.g. planarity is/are also NEW (by me
> defined atom type/s)
> atom types. Is at least in this case the improper info in IMPROPER record
> of prepin file
> accepted by leap or it is still ignored ? If it is ignored the question is
> the same
> like above, where to put the information/definition of the improper
> torsions which leap
> would not add by default ?

Same answer as above.

> If the IMPROPER records are accepted by leap at least in the situation when
> there are new atom types we are OK here in the situation of using PREPIN
> file
> but what in the same situation when using MOL2 instead PREPIN ?

The IMPROPER section in prep.in is only used for debug purposes.
It has no effect on the impropers that are used in the parm file.

Bill