Re: [AMBER] possibility to increase max . num. of bonded atoms ?

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:03:52 +0100

Dear Jason and Bill,

first of all thanks a lot for your
useful comments !

I have just the last two questions regarding your comments:

A) IMPROPER RECORD

YOUR COMMENTS
JASON
This information should not need to be present --- tleap should
automatically apply known improper torsions that it recognizes.

BILL
If it is added to a prep.in file (instead of a mol2) the list will
be checked against the impropers the FF assigns. This can be useful
for developing improper torsions. But for practical purposes the
list-improper-per-residue is superseded by the current FF.

So if I understood well the IMPROPER record has rather informative
character
in case that one is using just Amber-known atom types, these information
are rather ignored and leap will "decide" automatically where to add
impropers
am I right ?

So if one would like to add some improper torsion to group of 4 atoms
with known Amber atom types, the IMPROPER record in prepin file is
definitely not the right place. Am I right ? So how can one solve
this eventual problem i.e. where one can define these impropers in way
that they are not ignored by leap ?

But there might be also the possibility that in the given group of atoms
where I would like to maintain e.g. planarity is/are also NEW (by me
defined atom type/s)
atom types. Is at least in this case the improper info in IMPROPER record
of prepin file
accepted by leap or it is still ignored ? If it is ignored the question is
the same
like above, where to put the information/definition of the improper
torsions which leap
would not add by default ?

If the IMPROPER records are accepted by leap at least in the situation when
there are new atom types we are OK here in the situation of using PREPIN
file
but what in the same situation when using MOL2 instead PREPIN ?

YOUR COMMENT
Ultimately, there is only one thing that the prepin file has that the mol2
file does not --- connection information. The prepin file allows you to
specify a head and tail atom so that tleap will automatically chain it to
adjacent residues. You can set those atoms by hand, though, and the q4md
folks modified the mol2 file to add this data (see the mol3 documentation
on their website, which is supported in AmberTools 12).

So if I use MOL2 file just as the container for individual residues
(instead of PREPIN)
(not as the container for the whole molecule) I will need to define HEAD
and the TAIL atom to successfully connect adjacent residues in e.g. PDB
file with the whole molecular structure.

But in my opinion if e.g. in PDB file with the whole molecular structure
is also sufficient
connectivity information - at least that regarding connectivity of the
"border" residues
atoms, there is perhaps no need to maintain in residue file info. which
atoms are the
border ones (HEAD and TAIL).

   Thanks again !

       Best wishes,