[AMBER] radial distribution function between atoms of the two masks

From: Massimiliano Porrini <m.porrini.iecb.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 15:12:24 +0100

Dear all,

I was surfing the Amber mailing list archives to find an answer to few doubts
I had about the calculation of the radial distribution function (RDF)
and I came across a
very useful and explanatory email from Daniel Roe, the interesting excerpt
of which I report below:

Say I have a system composed of 2 residues, M
(which has 6 atoms) and N (which has 3). If I do something like
'radial X 0.2 30.0 :N :M' I'm calculating these distances:

N0->M0
N0->M1
N0->M2
N0->M3
N0->M4
N0->M5
N1->M0
N2->M5

I then normalize appropriately based on the number of atoms in each
mask minus any overlap etc. When you do something like 'radial X 0.2
30.0 :M :N center1', now I'm calculating these distances:

Center = {M0, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5}
Center->N0
Center->N1
Center->N2

This also gets normalized, but it is fundamentally a different
calculation. Hopefully this makes things a little clearer.

After calculating the above distances between all the possible
pairs of atoms belonging to the two masks, what does ptraj/cpptraj do
with them (apart from the normalization)?
I am asking this question just because eventually we obtain only one
RDF profile, that is a sort of measure of the density of *object_A*
along the radial
distance from *object_B* .

My assumption is that the final profile is a kind of (weighted) mean of the
above distances.
Am I assuming well?

Thanks a lot in advance and best wishes,

--
Dr Massimiliano Porrini
Institut Européen de Chimie et Biologie (IECB)